Friday, February 12, 2010

How to get rid of skunk smell?

my dog killed and got sprayed by a skunk last night...





how do i get the stench out of my dog?


and then how do i get it out of the house?How to get rid of skunk smell?
For the dog - tomato juice





For the House take a boiling pot and cut up lemon, orange, grapefruit





mostly lemons


Boil them- keep the windows and doors open of course.





Just as citrus is used to remove the scent of fish it works great for all odors like mold and such..





GL..How to get rid of skunk smell?
A skunk was locked in my garage with my dog all night once; it sprayed through my venting system and of course my car smelled horrid too. My neighbor brought us a product called Odoban that he purchased at Home Depot. I think it is like heavy duty Febreze. I have used Febreze successfully on ';skunked'; clothes, and the Odoban helped in the car and on the carpet. My car still smelled like skunk for months when it got hot. I would probably wash the dog with dishwashing soap like Dawn, to strip the oil in the skunk spray; then spray something like Febreze or Odoban on the dog and rub it in; allow it to work as long as you can bear it; and then I would rinse it off to ensure that the chemicals do not harm the dog. You may have to repeat the procedure .
I just had the same experience this morning. The kennel that I board my dog with gave me a recipe to wash the dog with. You have to becareful not to get it in the dogs eyes or mouth, this is the challenge since that's where he was sprayed the worst.


Deskunk Recipe





1 quart of Hydrogen peroxide


1/4 cup of Baking soda


4 drops of dish detergent (Dawn was recomended) to strip the oil from skunk spray.


Combine in a bucket( outside if you can). And wash dog with it.





I haven't tried it yet, it's storming right now. Will post results.


My kennel also gave me a spray bottle of OdoBan for the house.





Good Luck!
My dog use to get sprayed about 2 times a year. I tried the tomato juice, peroxide/baking soda/soap formula, as well as some skunk removal products at the pet stores, Vets and on line all with limited success. I was reading that it is skunk OIL. Well working on cars and needing to clean the grease and OIL my hands what so I have a bar of 鈥?yes Lava Soap. So I tired it today after my dog got it again after a 3 year hiatus. I follow up with cloths detergent and Clorox II mixed together. Well this works for me! Next time I may try hand degreaser/cleaner.





http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf576594.tip.h鈥?/a> Here's a link with all kinds of remedies to get rid of skunk odors on dogs and house.
Dog - Tomato Juice or Douche





House - A good old fashioned cleaning. We had to use the Douche to spot clean the carpet where the dog had managed to lay on for about 1/2 a second. I cleaned the kitchen floor with straight vinegar.
Tomato juice does help, but to be honest I had the smell around for weeks after my dog got sprayed. I sent the dog to the groomer, but he still smelled. It just takes time with open doors and windows to help.
tomato juice-bathe the dog in it.
tomato juice for the dog and moth balls for the house.
tomato juice
you should wash your dog with tomato juice
For your house, get Ozium. It works wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment