Sunday, February 7, 2010

My dogs just killed a skunk?

my dogs just killed a skunk in our back yard...will they be ok? i mean will they get sick from biting it?My dogs just killed a skunk?
Is your dog current on its rabies vaccinations? Skunks are one of the number one carriers of rabies. I would call your local animal control and alert them to the skunk. They can take the skunk and test it for rabies to let you know if your dog is okay. If the dog ingested any of the skunk's saliva or blood, then it is possible that the dog could be infected. If your dog is not vaccinated, I would strongly suggest you let the animal control officers know that and then they can suggest your next step.





I am not trying to alarm you, but I work at an SPCA in California and we take skunks incredibly serious. Any dog that we know has been near a skunk we will lock into a quarantined area because they could have contracted the illness.





Please call your animal shelter or animal control immediately. Sometimes they are run out of the police department. But, they can definitely test for you and that way you don't have to figure out what to do with body. In the meantime, check to see if your dog was bitten at all. If so, that heightens its chance of getting rabies.





Good luck!! =) Everything should be fine, but its better not to take a chance. Even if your dog is current on its rabies vaccines, its good to send in the skunk for lab work. No cost to you and peace of mind!My dogs just killed a skunk?
If the dogs are not vaccinated and the skunk was rabid,then you have to worry and must contact your local board of health so that the skunk can be tested for rabies. If the dogs are vaccinated,then the worst that would happen would be that they may get worms,but ask your vet to be safe.
I'm not sure. Did it eat anything? Or did it just bite it that it died?


I think they played with the skunk with it's feet, I personally think it will be fine Skunks can carry viruses, rabies, etc. If you want, I would go to the vet and have a quick check on it.
as long as your dogs have all their shots they will be fine. one of my dogs has killed and has even eaten the insides of a skunk.
Skunks can carry rabies. I'd take the dog into the vet for a quick check up.
As long as they have up to date rabies shots I'd think they'd be fine.
probably not but they will probably stink for awhile

No comments:

Post a Comment