Friday, February 12, 2010

Have you seen a skunk?

Skunks live all over the continental united States...but i have never seen one! Not even as road kill. I know they are noctornal but I have seen most noctornal animals that live in my area at some point. How come I never see skunks? Has anyone ever seen one in the wild? (not that I'd want to see one...Im just wondering)Have you seen a skunk?
I used to work at a wildlife park so I saw them daily. I also lived on a farm. We saw them all the time there. We actually had a family of them under our barn one year. They are quite cute when you see mom leading 3-5 babies out for a walk! If you see one don't run or make alot of noise. Just walk away. They only spray if they feel threatened and only after they give you 2 warnings prior to a spray. The warnings are as follows:





1) chomping teath. They snap at you basically.


2) they lunge at you (will jump forward then back).





and after that you better hope your gone or you'll be stinky.





They don't spray all the time because they only produce so much of their pungent oder. They tend to warn you first or walk away if they feel you won't threaten them fully.Have you seen a skunk?
I've seen many skunks when I lived up in No Cal. I don't know why you haven't seen any but I would be happy about that. My friends dog got sprayed by a skunk. NOT FUN! LOL
I've seen several in the wild, and always stayed as far away from them as possible. Once, when camping, I woke up to find one getting in a garbage bag behind me. Spent the rest of the night sleeping in my car!
I have seen a skunk. It was kind of sad though, because it was probably old and scenile, walking around in broad daylight. I felt bad, even though I have had a bad experience with a skunk before. (One sprayed my cat. It stunk for like 2 weeks.) Anyway, my guess is that you'll only see one if it's old and scenile or if you just, well I wouldn't say get LUCKY, but if you happen to see one in the woods or something.
I have seen several! They are pretty common. Mostly I see them at night looking to raid garbage cans.
I lived in South Central Texas for 10 yrs I seen many of then a few times during the day and 1 time during the day she had 3 babies. Yes a road kill right infront of the house I had to bury it I'm glad the stink bag didn't burst.
Yes. Appx 30ft away from me. I also smell them all the time
I have seen a family of skunks at one place i used to work at. They'd be out at night jumping around in the grass catching crickets to eat. One of my former co-workers was sitting outside at a picnic table eating his supper when he felt a cat rubbing against his leg. When he looked down-it was a skunk. It didn't spray,it was looking for food.
Well, you didn't tell us where you live! Are you in a highly populated area? That's probably why you haven't seen one. We had a family that had to be removed from our storage building...not a pretty site....stinky too! I see them frequently around the Northwest...
When we lived in Colorado Springs, I used to see them all the time...in fact there were so many of them that the humane society used to put up humane traps in our apartment complex to catch the critters and relocate them. They are awfully cute but smell terrible. Now that we live in Florida, I never see them at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment