Sunday, February 7, 2010

What to do about a baby skunk prowling my neighborhood?

A few nights ago as I exited my back door with my dog for his last walk of the night he darted for the bushes, unable to get him out right away I see a black and white thing flung out and recognized the smell and it right away. My dog got sprayed that has been dealt with mostly with a few baths. My problem now is that the skunk is outside my house nightly, driving my dog nuts. Tonight when I walked him we ran into it again in a neighbors front yard, luckily I was able to pull my dog away in time.





The skunk is very young, probably 8-10 inches with it's tail raised, rather cute I must say. I'm not sure of a skunks maternal habits but it's either just out of the creche or the mother abandoned it. If I attempt to remove the skunk using a humane trap will I kill it by placing it in an unknown environment? How do I even do this without getting myself sprayed and stinking up whatever vehicle I move it in? I know where the skunk lives, is there anything I can do to make it move elsewhere?What to do about a baby skunk prowling my neighborhood?
Do NOT try to trap a skunk yourself. Call your local animal control office and tell them about it. They have the ability to take care of it. You risk not just getting sprayed, but getting bit. Skunks have a high ratio of carrying rabies.





You can use mothballs to drive it away from your home, but you may have to get someone to come out and trap it. Good luck to you.What to do about a baby skunk prowling my neighborhood?
That is the most ignorant thing i have ever heard..It's people like him who give skunks a bad name. Actually skunks are not a ';high ratio'; carrier of rabies. Though i do believe animal control would be the best idea.

Report Abuse



Don't be throwing scraps out there anywhere, keep the dogs food inside at night, keep the light on out there if you have one, and they don't like noise so a radio playing out there at night for several nights will make him head for more peaceful territory and somewhere he can find food.





UPDATE: If you think it stays under your neighbors shed, talk with them about running an electrical cord out there and put a light under the shed and play a radio under there. They hate noise and light. It will leave on its own. then they need to close the opening so no more can get under there. Good luck.
The skunk is likely visiting your house because of food. The first thing you should do and encourage your adjacent neighbors to do is to keep trash protected from vermin. If the skunk cannot get to your trash then it does not have a good reason to come along.





The next thing you can do is pick up urine for a outdoor hunting store. Why do you want to pick up urine you may ask? You want skunk will smell the urine of a predator such as wolf urine and will not want visit your backyard if it thinks a wolf lives or there. So, placing animal smells in your yard will also help prevent skunks visiting.
well a few years ago me n my father took some water guns n filled them with vinegar n when we saw the skunks we sprayed them with it n we didnt see them after that lol its a little crayz but fun
I had the same problem they were under my shed. All you have to do is spray it with some water and after a min. it should be running out of there. Remember keep the gate open so it can get out. Or you can call animal control at 1-408-465-2920 OK.
our little wild friends love to feed on food scraps our pet food,the best way to prevent them from moving to your neighborhood is to make sure there is nothing for them to eat,and don't feel bad,the foods they they are getting from us isn't really good for these little guys...
THE SKUNK IS AFTER FOOD. YOU NEED TO GET RID OF LEFT OVER DOG FOOD AND ANY TRASH SHOULD BE KEPT IN A CLOSED CONTAINER, ALSO MAKE SURE TO STOP FILLING BIRD FEEDERS IN THE SUMMER TILL FALL, SKUNKS LOVE THE SEEDS. THEY ALSO LOVE GRUBS, YOU NEED TO PUT DOWN LIME IN THE SPRING TO KILL THEM. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, MIX UP ONE CUP AMMONIA WITH ONE CUP HUMAN URINE,(YES YOU READ RIGHT) AND A COUPLE DROPS OF DISH SOAP,IN A SPRAY BOTTLE AND SPRAY AROUND THE PARAMETER OF YOUR PROPERTY. YOU MUST REAPPLY AFTER A HEAVY RAIN. IT SOUNDS STRANGE, I KNOW,BUT IT WORKS. WE GOT THE RECIPE FROM THE PA. GAME COMMISSION, BECAUSE WE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO,EITHER. HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK.
leave it be, dont leave dog or catfood out. Skunks are very adaptable.
call animal precinct





they know how to handle it
Call your local humane sociaty!
contact your local conservation office... it should be in the phone book...they will come out and get the skunk and do whatever they are suppose to do with such animals...that is what you are supposed to do because skunks can carry rabies and diseases...call them as soon as possible and try to stay away from it as much as possible until they come and pick it up..we had to have them do this when we lived in the country.. osark county is where we were at... that is what i think is the best decision...humane society does not take skunks i do not think , nor do i think they would come after him either,,,,,
Call Animal Control or the police.
call Peppie la Phew
Report it to the police
yes, ewwww we have them all over our neighorhood, just call animal control and they will come remove the stinky little thingy....I hate the small they give ewwww
The best thing to do is call the animal catcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment